Report: Port surge at Aggborough

Report from Aggborough as Harriers are well beaten on home soil…

Kidderminster Harriers' Jimmy O'Connor

HARRIERS suffered successive home league defeats after a nightmare first half saw them well beaten 4-1 against Southport.

MORE: Full team news, match stats, reports, videos and more at the Match Centre.

In an afternoon that mirrored much of the games against the likes of Ashton and FC United, Harriers found themselves without an answer to an away side’s rally.

Port went four up in less than 35 minutes when George Sampson twice netted and Jason Gilchrist’s well-taken header was added to by Dion Charles.

The Reds did manage a second-half goal from Jimmy O’Connor, but to label it a consolation may be a little excessive.

MORE: Full team news, match stats, reports, videos and more at the Match Centre.

The tone was set early; Southport were ahead within three minutes as a long-range effort from Sampson struck the back of Gilchrist and looped up and over Brandon Hall.

With a dozen on the clock, Daniels had one of the better home chances of the day when he fired over from a corner routine, but Southport soon had their second when Gilchrist was left unmarked to head in a cross.

Charles and Morgan each had chances to make it three within the following six minutes, the game effectively over past the half hour when, on 33, Johnson was one of three Harriers players to rise and meet a near-post throw-in from Southport only to inadvertently head the ball beyond Hall with Sampson nearby.

Seconds later, Charles was left completely unchallenged and carried the ball towards goal before shooting, the effort again deflecting up and over the dive of Hall.

Harriers made sweeping changes at the break and introduced Ironside, Austin and Richards to try and make a dent in the deficit – the former managed the team’s first effort on target of the day with a header that Hanford held well.

On the hour, Weeks struck over with a free kick, before Daniels again struck an effort over the bar after winning the ball well.

The only goal for the hosts arrived on 68 minutes when O’Connor’s flick took Williams’ shot beyond Hanford and into the far corner, before which Chambers blasted wide on the angle after finding space out wide.

There perhaps should have been a fifth for Southport in the final minute but, as Charles broke through, Hall stood strong and brilliantly denied him.

MORE: Full team news, match stats, reports, videos and more at the Match Centre.

This article is about: Match


Other News

FA Cup: Stafford replay details

Details of the Emirates FA Cup replay at Stafford Rangers…

Recap: Harriers 0-0 Stafford

Recap from the goalless draw at Aggborough as Harriers are blocked out by Stafford Rangers.