Report: Harriers down Hatters

It’s back to back home wins for Harriers as they see off County…

Billy Daniels in action against Stockport County (c) Clive Jones

JIMMY O’CONNOR netted his first goal for Harriers to seal a thoroughly-deserved victory over Stockport County at Aggborough.

Harriers stormed out of the blocks on the chance creation front, as with barely 30 seconds on the clock, Ashley Chambers raced away to latch on to to a through ball, beating County keeper Ben Hinchcliffe to it and getting a shot away, but the stopper stopped it.

Stockport also came close to opening the scoring soon afterwards as after five minutes, Matty Warburton tapped wide from close range after a cut back from Jake Kirby.

That duo would combine once again with dangerous effect eleven minutes later, Warburton crossing low for Kirby who, on the slide, was inches away from connecting to tap into an empty net.

Extensive stoppages followed due to injuries to County skipper Paul Turnbull and Harriers striker Joe Ironside, but Harriers would take the lead once the play resumed after 37 minutes as Joel Taylor scampered down the left, crossing the ball with venom, which deflected off Sam Minihan and into the top corner.

That would be how the half would end, but against the run of play, County drew level after 56 minutes.

Frank Mulhern replaced Kirby as the clock struck 55,  and would have the ball in the net in less than a minute after pouncing on a loose ball in the area, sweeping into the bottom left corner.

An array of chances followed for Harriers, crosses and shots from here, there and everywhere, one of the closest instances in which Harriers came to a second goal was on 69 minutes through Declan Weeks whose free kick lifted up and over the wall from 20  yards, Hinchcliffe getting down well to parry.

Stockport substitute Mulhern came inches away from his second of the game five minutes later, glancing just wide from a corner delivered from the right, but the referee blew his whistle for a foul in any case.

However, Harriers would re-take the lead two minutes later through captain, Jimmy O’Connor.

Sam Austin recycled the play from a corner kick, the ball finding its way to O’Connor inside the area, who applied the finishing touch to finally find a way past Hinchcliffe after plentiful resistance.

Harriers continued to press for a third goal, Hinchcliffe making more saves to deny Ashley Chambers, Kane Richards and Ed Williams, the final whistle eventually being blown to secure Harriers’ second win of the season.

GET MORE: All of the day’s team news, full match stats and more are at The Match Centre

This article is about: Match


Other News

Harriers partner with Fitogether

The full story on the Club’s partnership with Fitogether…

Boss ready for new-look Magpies

Boss Russ Penn looks ahead to Saturday’s game against Chorley…