Report: Academy upset Spireites

Youngsters continue fine cup progress at Aggborough…

Kidderminster Harriers' Harry Stratford

HARRIERS Academy carried on their splendid FA Youth Cup run by reaching the First Round proper after defeating Chesterfield.

Reiss Taylor-Randle struck in the first half to secure a 1-0 win for the Reds at Aggborough Stadium, toppling out the National League side to set-up a First Round tie away at EFL outfit Port Vale.

Harriers had to ride their luck a little at times in the second period as the visitors had numerous efforts cleared off the line but, in the end, a fine, resolute defensive display proved to be enough to see the young guns progress.

The hosts were eager to make an impression from the off, and that got its rewards within six minutes as they had the lead; Taylor-Randle, ever a willing runner, chased a lost cause as the Chesterfield goalkeeper looked to clear a long ball forward, only for pressure from the youngster to tell as he nipped the ball beyond the stopper and into the back of the net.

Taylor-Randle almost turned provider for Harry Stratford as he forced the goalkeeper into a decent 14th-minute save, White also going close to a second just after the half-hour with a shot narrowly off target.

The visitors did look a threat going forward and, from a good cross into the box, Holmes connected with a strong header that needed a good save from keeper Ewan Mountjoy.

The opening passages of the second period were more about blocks and skirmishes as both sides hurriedly looked for more sights of goal, the Spireites going close on 74 when a header from a corner beat Mountjoy and looked to be heading in, but a vital interception from Kang on the line ensured it didn’t.

Inside the final ten minutes, another dangerous corner took Chesterfield close – Render blazing wide from a good position, before Mountjoy showed good hands to smother the danger from Howard.

Despite soaking up so much pressure in the half, it was actually Harriers who went closest to a second goal in the final seconds of the tie – a well-struck free-kick from Tom Smith rising well and edging past the wall, but crashing agonisingly wide.

It didn’t matter, though – Harriers picked up yet another fine victory to secure passage to the next round. The Reds will now travel to Port Vale on Monday, October 29th at 7pm.

This article is about: Academy, Education, Youth


Other News

Harriers thank National Lottery players for their support

Harriers thank players of the National Lottery….

Saturday: Harriers v Blyth Spartans

We look ahead to this weekend’s game against Blyth Spartans with Caleb Richards…