Recap: Guiseley 0-0 Harriers

Recap of the key action from Saturday’s goalless draw at Guiseley…

Joe Foulkes in the 0-0 draw at Guiseley, September 2021. Image: (c) KHFC

HARRIERS and Guiseley played out a frantic 0-0 draw at Nethermoor on Saturday, with the Reds playing for 40 minutes with ten men.

Despite perhaps being second best territorially in the first half, Harriers did head into the break having had the better clear-cut chances.

The home side were undoubtedly on top, though, so Mark Carrington’s 52nd minute red card looked ominous when it came. Curiously, the enforced switch-around actually ended up with Harriers showing greater freedom going forward; so much so that they can have genuine claim to being disappointed not to have taken victory thanks to a handful of major second half-chances.

Both teams were bright to start the day, but it was Harriers, through Hemmings and Austin, that had the best chances to force a breakthrough prior to the break. Sterling was ever a threat, first supplying a cross to Hemmings who headed over, then a ball into Austin that the skipper drove into the palms of the goalkeeper.

Nyal Bell came close to a goal on his first start at Guiseley. Image: (c) KHFC

In the second half, Harriers flew out of the blocks and, within four minutes, were within inches of an opener. Austin again was lively and as he lofted a cross into the area, Nyal Bell rose and met it perfectly, his header looping beyond the goalkeeper and on to the post.

Arguably the day’s biggest talking point followed moments later, Carrington shown a straight red card for an adjudged high foot on Guiseley’s Lewis Hey.

That forced Russ Penn into some reshuffling, with Lewis Montrose replacing Bell. From there, while they had to do their fair share of defending, Harriers arguably looked the team most likely to take all three points.

Sam Austin was a threat for Harriers and had a big second half chance. Image: (c) KHFC

While the likes of Cameron, Bajrami and many others dealt with the regular threats up at the other end, Harriers broke with real menace.

Perhaps the biggest of those breakaway chances came on 75 minutes, when Sterling got in front of goal with great pace. His initial shot was well saved by Amissah, the ball falling to Sam Austin who aimed the follow up toward the bottom corner of the net, only for the effort to head just wide.

With ten to go, Mbeka nodded a corner over for Guiseley, before Austin led another Harriers charge forward. He always stayed ahead of his man and only had the imposing figure of Amissah to beat, the custodian pulling off another big save to keep the effort away.

Gratton’s effort wide with three left of normal time was really the last noteworthy chance of the day as both sides were made to settle for a share of the spoils.

Get today’s news and key match facts at The Match Centre.

This article is about: Match


Other News

Monday: Wolves U23s v Sunderland U23s

Wolves U23s in action again at Aggborough…

Recap: AFC Fylde 2-1 Harriers

Recap of the key action from Saturday’s defeat at AFC Fylde…