Recap: Harriers 2-3 Gateshead

Recap of the key action as Gateshead take the points from Aggborough…

Action from the defeat to Gateshad at Aggborough. Image (c) Clive Jones

HARRIERS suffered a first defeat of the season as they went down 3-2 to  Gateshead at Aggborough.

Russ Penn had anticipated before the game that this one would be a good watch for the neutral and he was was proved right as Harriers came up against an organised, quality outfit in the Heed.

It was indeed the visitors who started both halves the brightest – they scored after seven minutes through Macaulay Longstaff before the same player doubled his tally. Joe Foulkes reduced the arears for Harriers before the interval, but another swift strike, this time from Blackett, after the restart put them comfortably ahead.

Through a well-taken Ashley Hemmings header Harriers made it 3-2, but Gateshead withstood some late pressure to see out the win and claim the points.

Harriers had already been given a warning by the time Langstaff scored the opener – Luke Simpson had pulled off a smart save from a third-minute free-kick, but the custodian was as helpless to prevent the first goal as the forward took the ball down well and guided it inside the near post.

It was two less than 20 minutes later as the same player rifled a finish into the far corner after picking up a lose ball – that second goal sparking Harriers in to life as they forced a corner within a minute as Amari Morgan-Smith’s header drew a save.

With seconds remaining in the half, Foulkes showed great awareness to make it 2-1 – he gambled on a beauty of a ball from Richards finding him at the far post and guided it smartly over the advancing goalkeeper for his first goal in senior football.

Unfortunately for Harriers they found themselves 3-1 down just seven minutes into the second period as the visitors repeated the trick – this one very much avoidable for Harriers as Blackett was able to fire into an empty net having drawn Simpson into a save with no one on hand to protect him.

Harriers did then show their character and within ten minutes they were again within a goal of parity – another delightful delivery into the area met by Hemmings whose downward header left the keeper with little chance as it bounced up into the net.

From then on it was all Harriers in terms of territory and dominance. Key chances came for Morgan-Smith and Bajrami in the last quarter-hour as they both headed off target, with the best of the late opportunities coming in the third minute of added time. Sterling chanced his arm from distance with little else on, and it took a smart, low stop from Chapman between the sticks to deny him.

A very impressive Gateshead side took home the three points, but Harriers were left with plenty they can feel encouraged by as they pause the league for a week to prepare for next week’s FA Cup tie.

Get full team news and key match facts at The Match Centre.

This article is about: Match


Other News

Monday: Wolves U23s v Sunderland U23s

Wolves U23s in action again at Aggborough…

Recap: AFC Fylde 2-1 Harriers

Recap of the key action from Saturday’s defeat at AFC Fylde…