Recap: Chesterfield 1-3 Harriers

A look back to Easter Monday’s huge win at Chesterfield…

Ashley Hemmings celebrates at Chesterfield. Pic (C) Ade Hoskins

A SUPERB second half showing saw Harriers blow away Champions Chesterfield to end their unbeaten home record and pick up three priceless points with a 3-1 win.

The visitors went ahead early at the home of the promoted Spireites, but were pegged back in a first half that Paul Cook’s men went on to control.

The second half was one-way traffic, however, and two further goals – including a first ever Harriers goal for Matt Prestson – handed Phil Brown’s men maximum spoils.

It was an away day that got off to the best possible start when, with four minutes on the clock, Ashley Hemmings took the ball down at a long throw, turning and firing low from ten yards into the bottom corner of the Chesterfield net.

Harriers caused plenty of early mayhem in the final third and, midway through the first half, there was a sniff of a second when Amari Morgan-Smith stabbed at a shot, but Chesterfield blocked the danger away.

Christian Dibble wasn’t extended too many times on the day but produced a good stop to turn King’s free kick over the target on 29 minutes – the Harriers back-line unlucky to concede two minutes later when Bailey Hobson’s cross took one deflection off Alex Penny, and a second off a wrong-footed Preston who diverted the ball into the net to put Chesterfield level.

Zak Brown enjoys his goal. Pic (C) Ade Hoskins

Dibble’s only other real input was crucial, four minutes from the break, as he turned a Dobra shot around the post after the ball took a wicked deflection.

380 or so Harriers fans thought Harriers had gone back in front within seconds of the restart when Hemmings’ shot curled around the post, but they were celebrating for real two minutes later. Zak Brown was played through on goal and shot – Boot between the sticks blocking his initial shot. Brown kept charging, though, and was rewarded when the ball dropped back to his feet to tuck home for 2-1.

Preston didn’t exactly need to make amends for his first half own goal, but he did so in perfect style two minutes before the hour. Again Chesterfield couldn’t clear their lines and Harriers kept possession, Preston turning and firing a low shot, in off the upright and into the net with Boot beaten.

Preston enjoys his first Harriers goal. Pic (C) Ade Hoskins

Eight minutes later the defender almost made it two when Boot beat away his shot, Hemmings then hogging the ball and driving at goal with ten left to play, seeing his effort held by the Chesterfield shot stopper.

Still pressing for more, Harriers almost added a fourth goal with just seconds left of normal time, but a low header from McNally bounced just the wrong side of the upright.

Get full team line-ups and key match facts at The Match Centre

This article is about: Misc


Other News

Recap: Barnet 4-1 Harriers

A look back to the defeat at Barnet…

Saturday: Barnet v Harriers

A look ahead to the season finale at Barnet…