Harriers win in FA Youth Cup

Harriers progress past Romulus…

Harriers completed a hard fought victory over Romulus on Friday night to see them through to the next round of the FA Youth Cup.

The young side travelled to Castle Vale Stadium for the First Round Qualifying tie, having progressed past Dudley Town in the Preliminary Round.

It would be a very tight first half, with very few chances between the two teams, but Reiss Taylor Randle had the ball in the net after 20, only for the play to be pulled back due to an offside flag being raised.

Two minutes later, Tom Smith placed the ball down just outside the area for a free kick, lifting it up and over the wall and, with the ball heading for the top corner, only a smart save would deny the goal.

On 29 minutes, centre-back Harrison Yates would come close with a thunderbolt of an effort from 40 yards after intercepting on the half way line – the ball going just inches over the bar.

However, Taylor Randle would have the biggest chance of the half four minutes before the interval, connecting with a low cross by Kian Kang and forcing a crucial save.

Harriers would take the lead eight minutes half time through Nathaniel Christie, who tapped home following a knock down by Taylor Randle from a Tom Smith free kick.

The away side would come closest to a goal after 76 minutes, a speculative free kick swerves goalwards from 40 yards, almost catching Mountjoy out, but dropping onto the top of the net.

However, Harriers would double their lead in the closing moments through substitute Zack Williams, finishing off a great move. Harry Stratford arced a great ball to Kang on the right, who crossed low for Williams, who took a touch before finishing into the corner.

This article is about: Academy, Youth


Other News

Maxwell: “Sometimes you take it for granted…”

Luke Maxwell on his Aggborough return, tough times and more….

Marsh shares Harriers memories

Mike Marsh on his time as a Harrier, missing out on our EFL stint and more…