Report: Reds see off Moors

Report from Kidderminster Harriers 2-1 Spennymoor Town

HARRIERS netted a goal in each half to see off the challenge of title-chasing Spennymoor Town at Aggborough.

MATCH CENTRE: Full match stats, videos, team news and more.

The Reds were ahead at half time thanks to Ashley Chambers’ 12th goal of the season.

Spennymoor equalised four minutes after the restart through Glen Taylor, only for Chambers to immediately net again with what would turn out to be the winner.

The visitors rallied late but couldn’t find a way past the home rearguard, Rob Ramshaw shown a red card after the final whistle after protests from a disallowed goal for the Moors boiled over.

MATCH CENTRE: Full match stats, videos, team news and more.

The game was played in challenging conditions throughout, with a fierce wind later joined by driving rain.

It didn’t stop the home side getting off to a good start – only a couple of minutes on the clock when Ironside saw a low shot held, that after Chambers had sent an early free kick over the bar.

After a quarter-hour, McAlinden showed quick feet to play in Daniels who directed a shot off target, the same provider giving Chambers the ammunition for the first goal of the day on 21 minutes, a perfect pass for the striker to ease past Gould and into the net.

Gould extended himself perfectly after the half-hour to ensure Chambers didn’t get an immediate second, his body spread to keep out a close-range shot after a good nod down in the area by Ironside.

Harriers saw the ball bounce off Butterfield and behind from an attacking corner two minutes after the break, but it would be the visitors celebrating soon after. Flowers had inadvertently forced Hall into a save as an attempted clearing header found the target – the hosts switching off on the re-worked cross that Taylor was left unmarked to nod home.

If the start to half had infuriated Mark Yates, the Harriers boss was mightily cheered by the response; just 12 seconds between the kick-off and the second home goal – Chambers tidying away another McAlinden cross to leave Town shocked.

Past the hour, Williams got a good cross into the area that Ironside nodded into the body of Gould, the same two players combining – though accidentally – shortly after when Williams’ shot deflected off his team mate before being well saved.

Spennymoor, with the wind in their favour, kept Harriers alert defensively – with 70 played, Tuton saw a low shot held before Taylor and Chandler both shot – the brace of efforts deflected away from goal.

It wasn’t totally one-way traffic – Harriers did go close when a good break saw roles reversed; Chambers supplying McAlinden who arced a shot off target with the target in front of him.

The final two minutes saw another good save from Hall as he was quick to get down to a Boyes shot. Spennymoor had thought they’d equalised as we went into four minutes of added time, but Taylor’s header was chalked off for a foul, the marksman adjudged to have fouled Johnson as he climbed to meet a cross.

The referee’s whistle brought the game to an end, but perceived injustice at that late call remained within the visitors who remonstrated a little too forcefully – Ramshaw given a straight red for his part in the aftermath.

MATCH CENTRE: Full match stats, videos, team news and more.

This article is about: Misc


Other News

Chambers keeping positive

Chambers: We have to be grateful for the time we have…

Boss ready for Halifax flashback

The gaffer will be watching along as we re-live one of his best ever performances…