Reports: Saints see off Reds

Report from Brackley Town 3-1 Kidderminster Harriers

Joe Ironside after scoring his penalty at Brackley (23-03-19)

HARRIERS were dealt a punishing 3-1 defeat at Brackley in National League North.

MATCH CENTRE: For full match stats, team news and more.

Harriers were behind early as James Armson struck, but were level at the break thanks to a Joe Ironside penalty.

Ironside had a good chance to put Harriers ahead after the break, but it was the hosts who added two further goals, an Ndlovu header and a Byrne penalty, to clinch the victory.

MATCH CENTRE: For full match stats, team news and more.

Up against a Saints side looking to avoid the play-off Eliminators, Harriers found themselves on the back-foot from the off, a lively Armson making them pay for a loose ball in the area that he duly lashed beyond Brandon Hall on the volley.

Only some solid defending stopped this one being done inside 15 minutes – Hall got down low to keep out Baker’s shot before Johnson needed to get in the way of a Myles drive to keep it away from the target. The Harriers custodian then stood firm to keep out Ndlovu’s drive at close-range.

While defending at one end, Harriers had to make the best of a few scraps up at the other – Horsfall’s header needled a timely clearance with 21 minutes played, before Thomas set up McAlinden whose shot was held by former Harriers man Danny Lewis.

Baker, always a threat, got past two men well before firing over close to the half-hour mark before, on 37, Harriers got themselves level. After being fouled in the area, Ironside dusted himself down to finish from the spot, in off the post.

That enabled Harriers to finish the first half and begin the second with a little more impetus, but found themselves disrupted soon enough after Sam Austin was forced off through injury – with the Reds already missing Billy Daniels, Ed Williams and Milan Butterfield on this day.

Ironside and Chambers, on 67 minutes, superbly double-teamed their way to a lost cause of a ball – Ironside catching it on the volley and almost seeing it find the net, the attempt just hitting the side netting. Within three minutes, Brackley were back in front. Ndlovu looked to be offside as he turned the ball home on the line from a corner, but visiting protests fell on deaf ears.

A tall order at 2-1 became worse soon after as Brackley netted a third. Byrne – minutes after hitting the post with a header – confidently dispatched a penalty after Liam McAlinden had fouled Fairlamb inside the area.

There was more than 10 minutes to play at that stage but, in truth, neither side really looked like adding to the score – the home side more than happy to see out yet another victory to continue their fantastic own form, while Harriers are left looking for favours from elsewhere to make their play-off dream a reality.

MATCH CENTRE: For full match stats, team news and more.

This article is about: Match


Other News

Maxwell: “Sometimes you take it for granted…”

Luke Maxwell on his Aggborough return, tough times and more….

Marsh shares Harriers memories

Mike Marsh on his time as a Harrier, missing out on our EFL stint and more…